Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Goodbye NSS

It was five years ago that I had stepped out of NSS, with my own copy of Explorer, apprehensive and yet sure of what I want. My experience at NSS taught me about how I could build my future. We took classes in Shanti Bidya Griha then and mine were next to the chemistry lab, right next to the hydrogen sulphide hotspot. I remember that and so much more, though. Being at NSS is not about these snippets of remembrance though, it is the often overlooked culture that NSS imbibes in its students that actually makes a stay at NSS worth it.
NSS taught us to hold knowledge and its quest in high esteem. It taught us to question, to contemplate and to reason. These are amongst the most exalted of activities that we can achieve.
In their use of language, NSSians strive for grace, precision, and variety. And they admire those who can achieve such skill. They believe this is mankind’s most precious gift.
NSS teaches its students to place great value on tradition and continuity. To an NSSian, bad manners are acts of violence against the social order and history is not merely what is in yesterday's newspaper.
And, finally, to be an NSSian is to esteem the discipline, skill, and taste that are required to produce enduring knowledge. And here, NSS prepares your imagination through learning and experience.

The two years gave me all these and so much more. Today I sit in my office and look out of the window; I see the world as I wish to se it. The greatest gift has been my ability to contemplate. As I ponder my last words, all I can say is THANKYOU!

2 comments:

  1. hatti..still in the same hairstyle..and same ways..really happy to get your frienship there...NSS moments rock in our blood ..hope they will inspire us forever...

    ReplyDelete