Thursday, December 18, 2008

Sell it to the Bald Guy!

I wrote on Deep's (a friend) blog that I want to sell the proverbial comb to a Bald Guy. Is it just a rhetoric? When Deep posted the same on his blog, the wheels were set into motion inside my head as well. How are we supposed to get a bald guy interested about a comb?
Deep's idea of using a wig to sell the comb had merit, but I wanted the comb to be my primary sale, not an accessory. How then could I sell the comb?
Then, the simple idea was to dodge the bullet. I could appeal to him that he could buy the comb for his mother, sister, friend, partner, etc.. You get the idea... Well that is cheating. I did not sell it to the bald guy did I?
Then there was the option of jazzing up the comb. The state of the art comb would help you grow hair!!! This did not appeal to me either. I was selling him hair, not comb.

So, how am I supposed to get a bald guy excited about a comb?

First up, he has to be comfortable with the way he is. The comb is just an accessory, and he won't buy anything from me unless he feels good about himself. So, I give him a show of models, actors, leaders, and most importantly several common man who are bald. That is the easy part. He has a desire to feel good about being bald, so he can be shown it is not any different from having long hair, short hair, or what not. It is just another way to wear your hair, no hair. Low maintenance and less fussy.
Onto the more difficult comb then. The concept of a comb needs to excite him. Again this in itself is not so difficult. As long as I do not alienate him, I could show him how a comb help stylize people. If at this juncture I am about to loose the guy to another product, I have to re-arrange my campaign. He should not be slipping away. Anyways, if the guy is excited that the comb is a great product, I can get him to like the idea of selling it. Right, selling it not buying.
Nothing excites a person like accomplishment and if he is confident about the concept he will look to do it. Apple is a brand that people buy even if another brand, just as good, comes at 10% lesser price. Why? Because the product gives them a sense of ownership of something exciting, something others do not have. Likewise, the comb needs then to be personalized to each user. When the bald guy sees that a guy with long hair, another with wavy hair, curly hair and the one with the Bushman's cut have all comb's suited only to them, you might pique his interest in something that might have been stylized just for him. And when he asks the question, you need to pounce. It is at this moment that you may sell him the comb.
Show him how you have a comb to suite his style - for no hair on his head, you have made the bristles such that they create create impressions, but won't hurt his scalp. If you had excite him enough, if he believes that every other person has one, he will buy something made only for him. It is not about personalizing, but about making the bald man believe it is personalized for him.

A truly unscientific manner to sell a comb. But who knows, you might like it someday?

4 comments:

  1. hmmm... i'm impressed enough to buy a comb from you. feels good??... still, you'd have felt better, had I been bald....!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya this is true that people tend to buy stuff's that is not at all necessary for the sake of ownership. May be just may be we could sell the comb for not using it as a comb, then probably it would sell. How about saying, the previous owner of a comb was Rajesh Hamal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice...Personalisation and getting people excited enough to sell the stuff. Great...

    Abhinav

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. I remembered one of the discussions I recently had. 'Why sell ice to eskimos when you can sell life jackets to a drowning man?' This is a bit different from the issue discussed here, but it would require a lot of persistence and creativity to create a need for someone who can just live as perfectly without the product we are trying to sell. On the other hand if you could only find a drowning man, you don't have to worry about the rest (but it's the next tough thing to find such market place)

    ReplyDelete